Thursday, April 19, 2007

A la carte

I bought a plane ticket on one of Europe’s cheap airlines. Flying exclusively within Europe, these airlines specialize in (semi) efficient and inexpensive travel, offering flights for as low as one cent. Obviously, it is the choice for jetting around Europe. So I went to a book a flight advertised at 29.99 euro. I can do that! As I began to fill out my personal information, I am asked how many bags I’ll be checking: No bags checked is 3 euro, 1 bag checked is 6 euro, two bags is 12 euro, and so one. I have no choice but to check two, so add 12 euro to my bill. Then, I am asked if I want to purchase insurance. Given the track record of this company and there uncanny ability to not offer help if you haven’t purchased their insurance, add 14.50 euro. Next, add in the tax and fees, another 15-euro. Will I be paying by credit card? Well, I’m purchasing this online; how else am I supposed to pay? Add 3-euro processing fee.

Ok, at this point in the process, I’m a little frustrated. The bill is close to 100 euro, which is still very reasonable for a flight to my destination, but why couldn’t you have just told me the final price from the beginning? 100 euro is depressing compared to 29.99 euro. Really, there is no need to break it down so I know that the right back tire is costing me 7.35 euro.

Ladies and Gentlemen: can we say a la carte?

No comments: