Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Beginnings

It is the dawn of a second full day in Madrid. I’m nestled into a tiny little hotel room in the heart of the city. The 80(!) students from the program have congregated here in Madrid for a few days to grow accustomed to the time zone change (I’m waking up as you’re going to asleep!), wade through school and Spain information, and tour some of the beautiful cites of this country rich in history and heritage.

I arrived on Monday morning to Madrid with lost luggage, so I have gone three days in the same clothes and with only a toothbrush. However, it did not prevent me from meeting some fun people and touring some spectacular places. On the flight to Madrid from JFK, I sat with a young woman who spoke a little English, but quickly switched to lightning bolt fast Spanish when she figured out that I spoke a little Spanish. So, for seven hours, she talked to me in Spanish about New York, her life in Madrid, her boyfriends, her favorite songs- the whole gamut. As I sat on that plane overnight, I was struck once again by the “rugged individualism” of Americans. On domestic flights, travelers stick to themselves, and if they do exchange words, they are often only small pleasantries. But on an international flight to a Spanish-speaking country, it is as if you have come to the family reunion. People are talking across rows and aisles, laughing, interested in your travels, and, like my friend, excited to share their life with you. So, the inauguration to the language and culture came quickly, somewhere over the great abyss of the Atlantic Ocean.

On Monday, I ventured with some people around the city of Madrid, the capital and literal center of the country. The Plaza del Sol is the middle point of the country. The Plaza Mayor was constructed by Felipe II. It features a statue of Felipe IV, another King of Spain. The Plaza has frescoed walls, which are illuminated by night. The Plaza Mayor was the center of Felipe’s Spain, including everything from festivals to executions. It still plays an important role in the life of this city. Our hotel is right around the corner from the park to the right side of the Royal Palace. Of incredible size, the King of Spain does not live in this palace, but it is still used for official use. It sits atop a hill and is visible from much of city- a giant landmark. Directly behind the Royal Palace is the Cathedral. The 50 meters that separate these great landmarks are an interesting commentary on the separation of church and state, or maybe the lack thereof.

Tuesday we visited El Escorial, a monastery outside of Madrid. It had snowed that morning and was frigid the entire day. A monastery constructed of marble, concrete, and stone was an imposing presence in the small town.

We had a wonderfully long lunch (my new favorite!) in a small family restaurant. The father served, mother and grandmother cooked, and daughter and boyfriend cleaned. The meal was the traditional bread, first of soup, second of garlic roasted chicken, dessert, and vino for 8.00 euro. The meal lasts a good hour and half, and they never bring you the check. It is as if they don’t want to rush you on or out, but want you to stay as long as you choose. Refreshing. The previous night I had salmon- so very fresh. It was like they had cut the fish down the middle, and then continued to slice the fish the long way. I got a great fillet from the side with all the scaly skin still on. No eyes, though.

The El Escorial is still a monastery and a school, but it is also the burial site for all of the Bourbon Kings and Queens. It is the home to the second best library after the Vatican as well. Within this Monastery is a cathedral with four organs and four marble columns of marble the size the office in our house. Lotsa marble, all brought in by hand.

Check out the photo album at http://picasaweb.google.com/sgauche/

I’m here safely and soundly, and received my bags late last night. I’m on to fresh clothes and a new day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello dearest! It sounds like you are having a FABULOUS time. I remember some of the places you visited from my trip to Spain :-) Enjoy every minute of it.

jersey ryn said...

YESS. I was hoping you were going to get the comments working.
You, my friend, are in for an incredible, life-changing experience. I just know it. It is so much fun to read about all that you have seen already. And you write to beautifully!
We miss you here at W&M.
Keep writing. :)