Monday, February 12, 2007

Focus

I’ve just completed my first week of classes. I had fresh notebooks and pens, and that back-to-school skip in my step. I’m studying at the University here in Sevilla, and I’m learning quickly the flow of university life in Spain. The cavernous buildings of the University are old (what isn’t here?!) and of marble. Everyone attends class in their coats- even the professors! I’m sure we will appreciate the coolness of the marble as the temperatures rise, but until then, students flock to the library- the only room in the school with heat. Instead of being huddled over laptop computers with earphones in, Spanish students have books open and notes out. There is no checking out of books, so one tends to pass most of the afternoon and the evening poring over texts. Additionally, most classes do not require you to buy books. All classes provide a recommended bibliography, and they usually photocopy a packet of reading or direct you to the library to access the books.

A “C” is a normal grade here; achieving anything higher takes substantial self-determination and work beyond that which is expected. How different this is than education in the states where most students feel average works entitles them to an “A”! Our classes last two hours, but end up passing fairly quickly. I think this is due to the fact that to understand and follow the class I have to listen so intently. To be honest, it is exhausting! Each professor speaks differently, having different rates, rhythms, and accents in their speech patterns. After six hours of instruction, my head spins. The good news is that I am following quite well. Yes, it takes effort, but I’m understanding! Considering there is little to no homework, and only final papers and tests, there is little opportunity to demonstrate your comprehension of the subject. We gather as English speaking students after class to compare notes and make sure we all came out with the same understanding.

The most difficult class I’m taking focuses on the Arabic influence on Spanish literature. First, this professor has such a thick accent and speaks so quickly that one can’t let their focus drift for a second. The rate at which he speaks only increases as the minutes pass. Finally, half-way through the class, when I just don’t think I can follow any longer, he stops, stands, and exits the classroom. He returns within four minutes, only to begin lecturing again. Yet, his rate has slowed. It hit me the during that first class- a smoke break is what this guy needed. And so, we take smoke breaks instead of bathroom breaks. I, personally, wonder if a few more smoke breaks per class for this professor might benefit us all! He also speaks one third of the time in Arabic, writing beautiful looking words on the board, which proves to be difficult, but so very interesting. Above all, I’m realizing there is no separation of the Islamic faith from the history of this part of the world- even the Christian history. To not understand it is akin to not understanding the religious issues in 17th century Europe that so greatly affected the formation of the United States. So, I’ll persevere for understanding.

I have class both morning and evening. Most classes take a break in the afternoon for individuals to return home, eat, and rest. Very little is open between 2 and 4:30pm, forcing even the most industrious to stop. I come home to a wonderful Senora and home-cooked food, and enjoy the opportunity to pause in the middle of the day. This afternoon siesta forces things much later into the evening. We don’t eat dinner in our house until 9:30 or 10pm, and stores are open until 9pm. This helps to explain the later morning start that is difficult to adjust to for this morning person.

The adventures of life and school in a foreign country and a foreign language continue to show me more of what this foreign confidence looks like. But for now, my brain is tired. No more thinking for today.

No comments: